Under the provisions of section 21 to 31 of the Maharashtra Regional and Town Planning Act, 1966, for the areas covered under the jurisdiction of the local bodies such as the Municipal Corporation / Municipal Council / Nagar Panchayat, the provision is made to prepare a draft development plan showing the proposed land use and public facilities as per future population. The plans are approved by the Urban Development Department of the Government.
Presently, in the state of Maharashtra, there are 384 local authorities, including 27 municipalities, 17‘A’ classMunicipal councils, 73‘B’ classMunicipal councils, 144‘C’ classMunicipal councilsand 123 Nagar Panchayats. Out of these, the development plan of all the local authorities have been approved by the government at least once, except for the Nagar Panchayats and 16 Nagar Parishads. Apart from this, development plans have been prepared for some non-Panchayat areas, for which the ZillaParishadis the Planning Authority. Due to the requirement of expertise in preparing development plan for the municipal corporation areas, special units have been created headed by Deputy Director, town planning. Some special planning authorities have also been established under the provision of 40(1b) of the MRTP Act. Such special planning authorities too can prepare the development plan or planning proposals for their areas and implement it after getting the same sanctioned from the Govt.
Contents of Development Plan
• Proposals of zoning for various purposes
• Designation of land for public purposes
• Transport and Communication
• Water supply, drainage etc.
• Sites for community facilities
• Sites for industries
• Preservation, conservation proposals of natural sceneries
• Preservation of features of historical, natural, architectural, heritage interest
• Proposals for flood control etc.
• Development Control & Promotion Regulations