For the comprehensive development of the districts of the state, for maintaining equilibrium in the rural and urban areas, to curb and plan unauthorized and uncontrolled growth in municipal / municipal council areas, Regional plans are prepared showing the proposed land use and public facilities for the development of the rural areas. Regional plans are prepared according to the provision of section 3 to 20 of the Maharashtra Regional and Town Planning Act, 1966.
The State Government establishes regional planning boards to prepare regional plans. Regional plans have been prepared and some are being prepared for the safe-guarding of environmentally sensitive areas. There are 36 districts in Maharashtra. All these districts have sanctioned regional plans in force.
Contents of Regional Plan
• Allocation of land for different uses
• Reservation of areas for open spaces, gardens, zoological gardens, animal sanctuaries, dairies etc.
• Water supply, drainage, sewage system and services like electricity etc.
• Location of new towns
• Industrial estates, MIDCs
• Tourism development projects
• Transportation and communication
• Military and defence areas
• Irrigation projects
• Development Control
• Implementation strategies